17th May 2024

How to make a claim for universal credit


From April  to September 2024, the Department for Work and  Pensions is writing to people who receive the following welfare benefits:


Income support

Tax credits

Housing benefit

Income related job seekers allowance

Employment and support allowance with child tax credits

Pension aged tax credits claimants who have a partner under pensionable age (mixed age couples)



The letter is called a ‘Migration Notice’ and you will be asked to make a claim for universal credit.

You should not take any action until you receive your Migration Notice letter, however when you do, it’s important you check the date that you will need to claim by as you won’t be moved automatically.


You will have three months to make the claim.


Please don’t ignore your letter as it explains what you need to do next. It also provides information on the help available to prevent you from missing out on financial support from the government. If you want to talk to someone about it now or at the time, then please get in touch.


Handy links


When you need to apply for Universal Credit  - Move to Universal Credit (ucmove.campaign.gov.uk)



Share this post